In February of 2014 we put our house on the market as a test, as we weren’t sure with the current market if it would even sell. It was one of those moments where we went, “if it sells, then it’s meant to be, if not, then we know.” Apparently it was meant to be as we had a contract on our house within a month of it being on the market and a closing date of May 29. Now that we had a contract on our house, it was time to start seriously looking for a motorhome. We drove to Indianapolis on March 15 and, once again, went through every coach on their lot to determine what we wanted since their inventory had changed since September. We narrowed down the field to two Class A motor coaches that would fit our needs. After talking with the sales agent we zeroed in the one that we wanted; a 40’ 2005 Holiday Rambler Scepter with extremely low mileage and had been garage kept, which meant that it was in awesome condition. We put a deposit on it and scheduled to take it for a test drive the following weekend. Dave fell in love with the way that it handled and we closed on it the week after that.
House sold, check. Motor home purchased, check. Now we needed to start selling our belongings. Dave began by listing our furniture on Craigslist and things started selling quickly. It was a bit unnerving coming home from work every day and finding less furniture in it then when you left that morning. I jokingly made the comment that I was going to phone the police and tell them that we had been robbed as the interior landscape of the house was constantly changing. Other household items started finding their way on to Craigslist as well, and then began the never ending yard sales EVERY WEEKEND for two months. (If any of our former neighbors are reading this, sorry about the inconvenience, but it helped us to achieve our goal.) We decided that the community yard sale in our neighborhood would be the last yard sale that we would hold, as we would only have two weeks until we closed on the house. Anything left over after that would either be donated or given away.
Up until this point, everything had been falling into place, but I think both of us wondered when the shoe was going to drop and we would hit a snag. The snag hit five days before closing on our house as we found out that our motor coach was not ready to be picked up. We had originally intended to pick the motor coach up on the 24th of May, which would give us those five days to move our meager belongings into the motor coach and fine tune what we would actually need. Having never lived in a motor coach before, we weren’t sure exactly what we would need or what would actually fit (size wise) into the storage units. This way, having the coach beforehand, would give us the luxury of figuring all of this out.
When we purchased the motor home, part of the buying experience through a dealer was that their technicians would go through the coach “with a fine tooth comb” to identify any issues and have them repaired before we took possession. Great, that worked for us, as we wanted to be assured that we were living in a motor coach that was safe and road worthy. Apparently there was an issue with the auto leveling system that had been identified shortly after we purchased the coach that we were notified about. We were assured that it would be corrected and we would be able to pick up our coach on the date identified, as that would give the technician plenty of time to correct the issue. Well, that didn’t happen as expected. It is our belief that the technician assigned to fix the issue turned it into a science experiment that went awry. Because of his “error” we were faced with becoming homeless and had to rent a storage facility for a lot of our belongings. Once we secured storage, we then had to find an apartment that we could rent for a short period of time and that would allow cats, which was no easy feat. We found an apartment the day we closed on our home and moved into the apartment three days later. The RV’s dealership corporate headquarters paid the entire months’ rent as a goodwill gesture for our inconvenience. (Disclaimer: The angst and stress experienced over this ordeal cannot be articulated in civilized manner, so will end the matter here. We would like to thank our friends and family for the emotional and verbal venting that we extolled on them during this time.)
We were finally able to pick up our motor coach on the afternoon of June 5th. After a final inspection of the unit, making sure that everything worked properly, Dave drove our coach from the dealership to our campground lot at Lake Monroe Village in Bloomington, Indiana. Our intent at that time was to park the coach at the campground and leisurely move our belongings into the unit during the month of June. I, however, wanted out of the rental unit as quickly as possible as I didn’t like it and the cats hated it. Dave, bless his heart, didn’t try to dissuade me otherwise and, together, we kicked butt and moved our possessions into the coach. We spent our first night in the coach on Saturday, June 7th and quickly fell in love with it.